Thursday, May 25, 2006

Some nice new Kona decals

After looking over the frame I've decided to completely rub it down and spray it back up. Usually the current paintwork makes a good basecoat (after a bit of a sanding) but the frame is in an awful condition! Chain slap on the chainstays has caused major pitting of the paint - right back to the metal in fact. There is also signs of rust where bare metal is being shown, but luckily none of it seems to be structural.

Now I could get it powder-coated professionally but I quite like the idea of having a go at spraying it myself using the old rattle cans! I figure that if it turns out crap then I can strip it again and ship it off for the pros to sort out... but if it turns out half decent then I'll have a bike that I don't mind scratching up because I know I'll always be able to touch it up!

First thing I needed to do was to get some new Kona decals as I don't want it to lose its branding identity. To my eternal shame, Halfords are now a stockist/dealer of Kona bikes so I trundled on down there with my frame's serial number to order some new stickers. Surprise surprise - no one on the entire staff (of 14 yr olds by the looks of it) can order the decals - apparently its no longer possible.

Luckily I was saved by the wonders of E-bay and managed to find these rather fetching silver decals printed on top notch vinyl - and all for less than a tenner!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home