Friday, May 26, 2006

S is for...?

Shifting.
As I imagine any MTBer does when he/she/it is in the process of giving their bike a makeover, I came across the issue of which shifting brand(s) to go with. The big two being, of course, Shimano and SRAM. All the bikes I've previously ridden have been equipped with Shimano of some form or another so I've decided to give SRAM a try.

The main difference (as far as I can see) between the two is that SRAM have opted for a 1:1 actuation ratio - as opposed to the 2:1 that Shimano use. Of course this means that if I'm going to opt for SRAM then its going to have to be all or nothing. I think its possible for some mix'n'matching with a few of the components - but I figure its best to stay with one brand on this.

So I've read through some literature and reviews on SRAM and they actually seem to be topping the market with their high end stuff - although this heavily depends on who you're talking to! x0 seem to be the top of the range shifters and so I've gone and got myself some x0 Shorty Twist Shifters (2006 model). Again, I got them off eBay at a fairly good price of about £50!

I can almost hear the outcries against Grip Shifters... but I like them and always have - so there. This has now committed me to getting SRAM derailleurs... so I'm off on the hunt for some decent priced parts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home